How to Prepare Items for Storage
Furniture and Tables
- Place blankets or covers over furniture to protect from scratches and dust.
- Pack books flat in boxes. Do not put them in boxes with other, more fragile items.
- Drain gasoline and oil from engine. This protects your property and other’s property from the dangers of fire and explosion.
- Place in plastic covers to protect from dust and moisture. Mattress covers are available for sale at Sparky’s.
- Treat leather items with a leather conditioner before storing them. Keep furniture items off of the floor by placing them on pallets.
- Have them cleaned and packed on hangers in wardrobe boxes.
- Store inside similarly sized knocked down boxes. This technique serves as protection from scratches and dust.
- Wrap in bubble wrap and store with linens.
- Store in dish-pack specialty boxes. Contact any Sparky’s location to purchase these items.
- Clean and dry all appliances prior to storage. Leave doors ajar for ventilation and stood upright.
- Do not store! It is highly dangerous for your belongings and other’s as well.
Remember to label all boxes so you don’t have to open to know what is inside!
Organizing Your Storage Unit
- Store valuable items and items that will not be needed in the rear of the unit and items that you will need to access towards the front.
- Use wooden pallets or boards underneath furniture and boxes to protect from dust and moisture.
- Leave a small airspace between your stored items and the wall to allow for ventilation.
- Store heavier items on the bottom and lighter ones on top of the heavier ones.
- Cover everything with plastic sheeting. This protects your belongings from dust and water damage. Wooden furniture should be covered in blankets then the plastic sheeting to avoid moisture damage.
- Use a high quality round padlock to secure your storage unit.
Sparky’s offers a variety of storage and
packing supplies to meet your needs!